>I have been comparing recipes with friends recently after discussing the blog and have decided to feature some of the better suggestions here.
I hope you enjoy them too!
Sonia’s fresh tomato and bean soup
900g/ 2 Lb ripe plum tomatoes
30 ml/2 tbsp olive oil
275 g/ 10 oz onions, roughly chopped
1 small chilli, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed
900 ml/1 ½ pints vegetable stock
30 ml/ 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
10 ml/2 tsp paprika
15 ml/1 tbsp cornflour
475 g/15 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
425 g/ 15 oz chopped fresh coriander
salt and pepper
1. Peel the tomatoes. Using a sharp knife make a small cross in each one and place in a bowl. Pour over boiling water to cover and leave for 30-50 seconds.
2. Drain off the tomatoes and peel off the skins. Quarter them and then cut each piece in half again.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onions, garlic and chilli for 3 minutes or until just beginning to soften.
4. Add the tomatoes to the onions, with the stock, sun-dried tomato paste and paprika. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Mix the cornflour to a paste with 30 ml water. Stir the beans into the soup with the cornflour paste. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Adjust the seasoning and stir in the chopped coriander just before you serve.